COVID-19 – Changes to Waste Disposal: Changes to both curbside and transfer station waste disposal can be found at the Hall’s Glen Transfer Station web page.
Recycling, electronic and hazardous waste is managed by the County of Peterborough. For information on the recycling contract, please visit the County of Peterborough website.
If your recycling is missed, please contact the recycling collection company, Emterra, directly at (705) 742-3139.
If you need information on recycling in general, please contact either the County of Peterborough at (705) 775-2737 x 0 or the Township of Douro-Dummer (705) 652-8392.
Recycling Collection Tips:
- Set out recycling by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day
- Separate recycling into two boxes: one for Fibers and one for Containers
- Place paper, cardboard and boxboard loose or bundled in the Fibres blue box (do not bag unless paper is shredded)
- Place film plastics in one bag and it tie shut, tuck the bag securely into the Fibres blue box
- With the exception of shredded paper and film plastic do not bag recyclable material – place it loose in the blue box
- Rinse all plastic, metal and glass containers and place loose into the Containers blue box
- Waste Pick-up Map 2016 (pdf – 712KB)
Blue Boxes are available at the Municipal Office for $6 each.
Holiday Curbside Collection: Recycling collection will occur on all statutory and public holidays with the exception of Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Composting & Digesting Organic Wastes
Residents must remove organic material out of the garbage. Residents can either create compost in their own backyards using a composter or digester, or take organic material to the Hall’s Glen Transfer Station Moloks (organic material bins).
Backyard Composting & Digesting
The following PDF links outline the differences between composters and digesters:
You can get help purchasing or starting your backyard composter or digester from Peterborough County through their “Garbage to Garden” Program. For more information contact Peterborough County’s Public Works – Waste Management at (705) 775-2737.
A limited number of composters and digesters are available to purchase from the Municipal Office of the Township of Douro-Dummer in the Hamlet of Warsaw.
Organic Material Drop-Off at Hall’s Glen Transfer Station
If you prefer not compost in your own backyard, you can drop your organic material off at the Hall’s Glen Transfer Station free of charge. The following is a portion of what can be dropped off in the organic bins Organic Material for Compost:
- bread, grains, rice
- cooked food
- coffee grounds, filters, tea bags, and tea leaves
- dairy products
- eggs and shells
- fruit and vegetables
- meat, fish, fat, and bones
Do NOT include plastics of any kind when using the Moloks, including those marketed as biodegradable or compostable.
Brush, Leaf and Yard Waste No Longer Accepted at Hall’s Glen Transfer Station
As of April 1, 2019, the Hall’s Glen Transfer Station will no longer be accepting brush, leaf, or yard waste.
Brush, leaf and yard waste can be taken to:
- Peterborough Waste Management Facility:
- Waste Connection of Canada
- 348 County Road 6
- Monday – Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Tipping fees will apply.
The County of Peterborough will continue to collect leaf and yard waste in the spring and fall months for the residents of Donwood. Please check the County of Peterborough or Township of Douro-Dummer websites for scheduling of these collections.
A leaf, brush and yard waste bin is available at the Warsaw Public Works Depot in the spring and fall for Douro-Dummer residents:
- Only leaf, brush and yard waste are accepted in this bin- lumber and other waste must be disposed of at the Halls Glen Transfer Station or other appropriate facility
- Ensure leaf bags are made of paper only (no plastic of any kind in this bin)
- Place leaf, brush and yard waste in the bin – do not leave waste if the bin has been removed for the season
Residents are encouraged to drop off their spent re-chargeable, single use, and cell phone batteries for recycling at one of the following locations during operating hours:
-Municipal Building, 894 South Street, Warsaw
-Douro-Dummer Library, 425 Douro Fourth Line, Douro
-Halls Glen Transfer Station, 1951 County Road 6, Douro-Dummer
County Environmental Days and Household Hazardous Waste Events
Environmental and Household Hazardous Waste Events – Cancelled in Douro-Dummer for 2020 due to COVID-19.
For alternative sites and events for household hazardous waste disposal in 2020, please visit “COVID-19 – Changes to Waste Disposal” on the Hall’s Glen Transfer Station web page.