The Manager, Public Works, provides leadership and management to the Public Works Department. The position oversees the operation and maintenance of the municipality’s Public Works infrastructure and services. The role ensures the Township’s compliance with municipal, provincial and federal statutes and regulations, pertaining to Public Works operations and maintenance.
The position provides information, support and expertise to Departments, CAO and Council. In addition, this position is accountable for the maintenance of Public Works Department buildings and municipal gravel pits; the maintenance and operation of the transfer station and closed municipal waste sites; provides leadership and direction to Public Works employees; and as a member of the Senior Management Team assists with management issues and provides leadership, advice and consultation to staff, council and the public as required.
- Post-Secondary Degree/Diploma in Civil Engineering or an equivalent field.
- Certified Engineering Technologist with O.A.C.E.T.T. registration preferred.
- Ontario Association of Roads Supervisors certification (senior level) preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in a management role preferably within a municipal public works department overseeing roads operations, infrastructure maintenance and construction.
- Minimum 2 years experience overseeing Environmental Compliance Certificates and service contracts for waste management.
- Requires a Class “D” driver’s licence with “Z” endorsement.
- Knowledge of road construction, maintenance activities and safety procedures required.
- Knowledge of Municipal/Provincial/Federal legislation pertaining to a Public Works Department and Waste Management Department.
- Supervisory and managerial knowledge, skills, experience and ability.
- Demonstrated superior public relations, public speaking, report writing and communication skills.
- Good organizational and leadership skills.
- Proven ability to deal with the public, politicians and senior level staff in regards to issues that may be sensitive, contentious and difficult.
- Ability to cope with several different requests and subjects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office suite of software. (Experience with Central Square (Great Plains) software, work management and asset management systems, GIS and GPS software would be an asset).
Qualified applicants can apply through the Peterborough County’s Careers web page.