The County of Peterborough invites nominations for the County of Peterborough 2020 Recognition Awards. Nominations will be accepted for any resident or group residing in the County of Peterborough who has raised the profile or made an extraordinary contribution to our community. The nominee shall not have received a County of Peterborough Recognition Award for a similar category within the last fifteen years. Unless otherwise indicated, there shall be one award for each Township in each category:
• Accessibility Recognition – A group, individual or business who has contributed to accessibility improvements within the County of Peterborough. (One County-wide award.)
• Acts of Heroism – An individual who has displayed bravery in the face of personal risk, injury or death at an incident that took place either in the County of Peterborough or was to the benefit of a Peterborough County resident and which action did not occur while the individual was acting in his/her professional capacity while on duty. (Unlimited nominations.)
• Agricultural Leadership – Any individual or farm enterprise is eligible to be nominated in this category. Factors that will be used to assess the nomination will include such items as innovations, agricultural promotion and the recognition brought to the County through its operation. It may include involvement in agricultural organizations. Leadership in the agricultural community will also be considered.
• Business Leadership – Any new and successful initiatives of both new and established businesses that have made outstanding contributions to the County, including tourism promotion.
• Community Volunteer of the Year – Any group or individual who has demonstrated community involvement or volunteerism within the County.
• Environmental/Sustainability Recognition – Nominees will have demonstrated innovation and/or leadership in environmental conservation, stewardship and sustainability by having:
– Developed innovative green technologies or
– Started businesses to support and encourage sustainable living, or
– Donated conservation lands or easements or
– Undertaken ecosystem restoration or research or
– Educated others about the importance of protecting the environment or
– Achieved the overall vision for sustainability through one of the identified theme areas set out in the Sustainable Peterborough Plan: Agriculture and Local Food; Climate Change; Cultural Assets; Economic Development and Employment; Healthy Communities; Land Use Planning; Natural Assets; Energy; Transportation; Waste; and Water. (One County-wide award.)
• Heritage Preservation – An individual or group who has promoted heritage and preserves the history of Peterborough County. This could include, but is not limited to, Fairboards, Women’s Institutes, historical societies, etc. A community, public or private organization which has reached a significant milestone such as 100th anniversary of the organization is also eligible for this award. (Birthdays and anniversaries will be recognized on an on-going basis as requested.) (One County-wide award.)
• Leadership in Arts and Culture – A group or individual who has demonstrated excellence in the arts and brought recognition to the County.
• Sporting Excellence – Any team or individual who has won a provincial, national or international sporting event. (One County-wide award.)
• Youth – A person aged 25 years or younger who has contributed to the betterment of the community and/or school environment.
Nomination forms and Eligibility Criteria and Instructions are available from the County of Peterborough offices located at 470 Water Street, Peterborough, from any Local Municipal Office, Township Fire Chiefs, local Police Services Boards, schools, libraries throughout the County, area Chambers of Commerce, Community Care organizations or visit our website at www.ptbocounty.ca and complete the nomination online. Nominations will be accepted by delivery, fax, mail or email up to and including March 15, 2020 for review and recommendation by the Awards and Bursaries Committee to County Council. The Recognition Awards Ceremony will take place on Friday, May 22, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. and will be hosted by the Township of Cavan Monaghan. The venue will be the Cavan Monaghan Community Centre located at 986 County Road 10, Millbrook.
If you have any questions, please contact the Deputy Clerk at 705-743-0380 or 1-800-710-9586 or by email.