From the media release “Nexicom Inc. Celebrates ISED CTI Program Funding in Support of New Rural High-Speed Fibre Optic Cable Internet Networks” released August 21, 2019 from Nexicom Inc.:
It is with great excitement and heart felt gratitude that Nexicom announces it will be receiving $2,887,738 of federal funding in support of the installation of three new high-speed Fibre Optic Cable Networks to their pre-existing Northumberland County, Otonabee – South Monaghan & Douro-Dummer Township infrastructures. As part of this partnership agreement Nexicom will be contributing $3,002,837 towards the completion of the project.
All funding will be provided through the Government of Canada’s Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) department, via their Connect to Innovate program. This program aims to extend high-speed internet services to more than 380,000 households and 900 rural and remote communities across Canada.
The structure of the funding applies to both the costs associated with relaying the new Fibre Optic Cable from the Backbone (the mainline of Fibre travelling from the Nexicom Central Office over its geographic network) to the Last Mile (remaining distance from the rural road or highway to the household). As per the application funding agreement, ISED will fund 75% of the associated costs to the Backbone, with Nexicom funding the remaining 25%. Nexicom will cover 100% of costs associated with the completion of the Last Mile.
The breakdown of the funding for this project provided by Nexicom is as follows: Elizabethville, Garden Hill & Bewdley Backbone $514,220, Last Mile $1,090,440; Warsaw & Douro-Dummer Backbone $334,600, Last Mile $583,026; and South Monaghan Backbone $113,760, Last Mile $366,791. In total Nexicom will invest $3,002,837 in this project, with plans to provide improved services to 1,088 rural area households.
In addition to acknowledging the invaluable assistance from both the Federal Government and the Eastern Ontario Regional Network (EORN) for helping to make this funding possible, Nexicom would like to recognize the tireless efforts of the following people for helping to bring greater quality and reliable high-speed Fibre internet to the communities they respectfully serve: Peterborough-Kawartha MP Maryam Monsef, Douro-Dummer Mayor J. Murray Jones, and Port Hope Mayor Bob Sanderson.
Special thanks to Nexicom Owner Clayton Zekelman, Nexicom Consultant Bill Sandiford, Nexicom Network Operations Manager Bruce Buchanan, and Nexicom Special Projects Manager Tina Thornton for your invaluable collaborative work in this project.